Oppression,
Toil, Friendlessness
Again
I looked and saw all the Oppression
That
was taking place under the sun.
I
saw the tears of the Oppressed--
And
they have No Comforter;
Power
was on the side of their Oppressors--
And
they have No Comforter.
2
And I declared that the Dead who had already Died,
Are
happier than the living, who are still alive.
3
But better than both is he who has not yet been,
Who
has not seen the Evil that is done under the sun.
4
AND I SAW THAT ALL LABOR AND ALL ACHIEVEMENT
SPRING
FROM MAN'S ENVY OF HIS NEIGHBOR.
THIS
TOO IS MEANINGLESS,
A
CHASING AFTER THE WIND.
5
The fool folds his hands and ruins himself.
6
Better one handful with Tranquility
Than
two handfuls with Toil
And
chasing after the wind.
7
Again I saw something Meaningless under the sun:
8
There was a man all alone;
He
had neither son nor brother.
There
was no end to his Toil,
Yet
his eyes were not content with his wealth.
'For
whom an I Toiling,' he asked,
'And
why am I depriving my self of enjoyment?'
THIS
TOO IS MEANINGLESS—A MISERABLE BUSINESS!
Two
are better than one,
Because
they have a good return for their work:
10
If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But
pity the man who falls and has No One to help him up!
11
Also, if tow lie down together, they will keep warm.
But
how can one keep warm alone?
12
Though one may be Overpowered,
Two
can defend themselves.
A
cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Advancement
Is Meaningless
13
Better a poor but wise youth
Than
and old by foolish king
Who
no longer knows how to take warning.
14
The youth may have come from prison to the kingship,
Or
he may have been born in poverty within his kingdom.
15
I saw that all who lived and walked under the sun
Followed
the youth, the king's successor.
16
There was no end to all the people who were before them.
But
those who came later were not pleased with the successor.
THIS
TOO IS MEANINGLESS,
A
chasing after the wind.
(Ecclesiastes
4)
No comments:
Post a Comment